Thursday, January 14, 2010

Help for Haiti

As we read, listen to and watch the news that is coming out of Haiti in the past few days, our hearts are broken, our spirits are moved and we are stirred to help in some way. Many of us may wish that we could jump on a plane right now and go to where we could truly help relieve some of this suffering. Or we begin dreaming of a future day when our lives might allow us to train as a Red Cross volunteer or work with Doctors Without Borders. But today, the administrators for the aid agencies are telling us that they are unable to send people to Haiti because of the impossibility of transportation. (Though I did hear just a snippet of a report on NPR about how some of the very first volunteers to arrive were from China. For some reason I felt so proud of us as a world for a moment. Hurrah for these Chinese who we don't tend to think of as humanitarian.)

What we can do is to make a monetary donation.I just posted a widget at the top of my blog which will allow you to easily click and make a contribution to the Red Cross right now. Consider making any size of donation and offering a prayer for those who are in crisis.

If you want to post the widget on your own blog, you can go to Blogger Buzz to quickly download it.

Country Parson has a great blog from yesterday about being "agents of God's grace" in the suffering of the world. I encourage you to go look.

5 comments:

Lori said...

What beautiful thoughts. I am grateful for people like you. Thank you!

Dianna Woolley said...

Rebecca, Thank you for this post.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

The only good thing to come out of tragedies like this is the way it draws people together in giving, it seems. Whether it's giving of money, prayer, or some other form of active love.

Anonymous said...

Good message and believe me, I am praying. I know I am not alone when I say that the images I have seen and the things I have read will stay with me forever.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.